2.12.2011

Pronunciation: Not a Three-Year-Old's Strong Point

We went out to eat tonight to Long John Silver's (not our proudest moment, but it tastes good once every few months), and J got a kid's meal with chicken, fries, and a hush puppy. It's been a while since we've been to Long John's, so he wasn't too sure about the hush puppy. He refused to try it at first, even after seeing me eat one of mine. We got him to try it by telling him its 'kinda like a doughnut.' He happily dipped it in ketchup and started munching on it. It seemed to be a hit, though he didn't want another one after he finished that one. Anyway, he kept talking about the doughnut. I decided that since he already liked it, he could know what it's actually called. The following conversation ensued:

Me: It's called a hush puppy.
J: Yeah! I eat a dog!
Me: No, its a *Hush Puppy.*
J: Yeah! You eat a puppy!
Me: *Hush Puppy!*
J: You eat a pus puppy!

At this point, I dropped the hush puppy I *had* been eating and we started laughing. Not quite enough to put me off my appetite, but close.

2 comments: